Sinking home? City considers offering help

By Robert Frank

Homeowners whose houses are crazed with cracks might be able to get help from city hall.

The city said in a statement that it is considering providing people support, if their homes are riddled with cracks because the soil beneath them is subsiding.

“We use the term ‘crazed houses’ to describe properties that have been riddled with cracks in their foundation due to settling,” the statement said. “To be considered a crazed house, the cracks in the foundation must be due to the condition of the soil and not caused by a defect or sloppy construction.

The Laval urban planning department urged homeowners who have been affected by sinking soil to get an expert assessment of the damage from a properly licensed contractor who is specialized in installing footings that will stabilize their foundation, as well as an estimate of the cost of repairing the damage. 

To be eligible, the city said, the applicant must have:

• Owned a one-to-three residence housing unit;

• Incurred or expects to spend at least $5,000 on repairs;

• Plans to install or has already installed footings; and

• Has or will have completed the work on or after June 4, 2012.

The city urban planning department urged citizens who qualify to phone them at 450-978-6888, ext. 5532 or send an e-mail to

More information and an application form are available on the city’s website
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),

ga(‘create’, ‘UA-45892555-1’, ‘’);
ga(‘send’, ‘pageview’);

Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial