By Robert Frank
Laval firefighters were called to Horizon senior high school on Ste. Rose Boulevard, April 25, after ten people—eight students and two teachers—were overcome by natural gas fumes in the school’s kitchen and cafeteria.
Urgences santé paramedics assessed the victims on the spot, some of whom experienced severe headaches. They transported two of them to hospital afterward for a more in-depth medical assessment.
“Gaz Métropolitain was called to the scene because of the smell of gas,” Laval deputy fire chief René Daigneault told The Suburban in an interview. “However school officials had already opened all the doors and windows to vent the air inside, so when the inspectors checked with their detectors, they found nothing abnormal.”
“More than 1,000 students were evacuated from the school before firefighters arrive,” Laval police Const. Nathalie Lorrain said in a separate interview. “Police also responded to assist firefighters, if need be, with the evacuation and crowd control.”
“No lives were in danger,” added Sgt. Frédéric Jean.
Deputy chief Daigneault said that inspectors would return to the school to conduct more assessments.
Senior killed in apartment fire
In a separate incident, firefighters rushed to at 3565 Rivard, April 24, after smoke billowed from the apartment building located there.
“It was a very small fire,” reported Sgt. Jean, “mainly smoke.”
“Firefighters found a 78-year-old man unconscious in one of the apartments,” he continued. “They performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation before Urgences santé transported him to the Cité de la santé superhospital, where he was pronounced dead.”
Sgt. Jean said that an electrical problem caused the fire, and that an autopsy will be conducted to establish the official cause of death.
ga(‘create’, ‘UA-45892555-1’, ‘robertfrankmedia.blogspot.com’);