By Rhonda Massad
The city of Laval and the fire department have announced that it is now mandatory to install carbon monoxide alarms in residences that have a combustion appliance or direct access to an indoor parking garage.
The alarm is the only way to detect the presence of carbon monoxide as this gas is invisible, odorless and does not irritate the eyes or respiratory system.
Breathing carbon monoxide can be dangerous to one’s health and can cause death.
Carbon monoxide is released when vehicles burn fuel like propane, wood, oil and gasoline. Incomplete combustion of this fuel then releases this dangerous gas.
The new regulation, in an effort to promote safety, will require the carbon monoxide alarm to be coupled with the already compulsory smoke detectors. A smoke detector cannot detect carbon monoxide. Several models of carbon monoxide detectors can be found in hardware and department stores.
ga(‘create’, ‘UA-45892555-1’, ‘auto’);