Newscoverage

NewsBrief (21-5-2026)

By Murray Sherriffs

A Trois Rivières man is cleaning up his home after a moose got inside and made a mess. The animal broke through the front door and in its effort to get back to the woods, smashed a few things using the sliding doors leading to the back deck to get out.

=

Montreal Canadiens head coach Martin Saint-Louis was not at the Habs practice yesterday and his bosses say that he has stepped away from the club for “…personal family reasons”.

=

Montreal police will tolerate no fireworks of any kind and will increase its presence during the series with Carolina. Police say two people have been fined for igniting fireworks during post game 7 celebrations. A child injured by fireworks on Monday continues to recover. Montreal Mayor Martinez Ferrada is calling for calm, in light of the rowdiness.

=

Quebec’s October election race is getting tighter with poll evidence from Léger/Québecor suggesting that support is returning to the CAQ under Premier Fréchette. The Parti Québécois leads in the survey: 30 per cent of respondents say that they plan to vote for the party, a decline of one percentage point from the last Léger polling; while support for the Quebec Liberal Party is unchanged at 28%, but down from the 33% recorded in an April poll, when the party polled slightly ahead of the PQ.

=

Hydro Québec CEO Claudine Bouchard says that the utility’s main goal is to ensure that the province’s energy security isn’t compromised, as the province prepares to renegotiate the Churchill Falls agreement with Newfoundland, noting the deal is crucial to Quebec.

=

Hydro Québec President Claudine Bouchard says that about 120,000 low-income households will qualify for access to high-performance heat pumps that will cut hydro bills by an average $250 annually.

=

Gilbert Rozon has decided to not challenge a court decision judging him guilty of sexually assaulting nine women and will fork out $930,000 to them and waive his right to appeal.

=

An Air France flight from Paris, destined for Detroit, was diverted to Trudeau airport yesterday, because one passenger who had been mistakenly allowed to board had been exposed to the Ebola virus.

=

The Sûreté du Québec says that 25-year-old Xavier Réhel of Boucherville has been charged with several sexual assaults against minors and police suspect more victims will come forward when they hear media reports.

=

Eight people from Montreal, Gatineau and Ottawa have been charged with stealing covid money from the federal government using stolen personal identities, accessing CRA accounts, and fraudulently claiming Canada Emergency Response Benefits.

=

Concordia University says that its students and staff must prepare for more program reductions and staff cuts to help the university balance the books in the face of a $35-million shortfall in the coming fiscal year.

=

Habs vs Caroline 8 p.m.

=

Sun / 16º today

Sun / 21º tomorrow

Exit mobile version